In this post we’ll take a look at the backtest results of opening one DIA short put 45 DTE leveraged position each trading day from Jan 3 2007 through Feb 26 2021 and see if there are any discernible trends. We’ll also explore the profitable strategies to see if any outperform buy-and-hold DIA.
There are 10 backtests in this study evaluating over 35,200 DIA short put 45 DTE leveraged trades.
Let’s dive in!
Systematically opening DIA short put 45 DTE leveraged positions was profitable no matter which strategy was selected.
The 30D hold-till-expiration and both 50D strategies outperformed DIA with regard to total return.
- Symbol: DIA
- Strategy: Short Put
- Days Till Expiration: 45 DTE +/- 17, closest to 45
- Start Date: 2007-01-03
- End Date: 2021-02-26
- Positions opened per trade: 1
- Entry Days: daily
- Entry Signal: N/A
- Timing 3:46pm ET
- Strike Selection
- 5 delta +/- 4.5, closest to 5
- 10 delta +/- 5, closest to 10
- 16 delta +/- 6, closest to 16
- 30 delta +/- 8, closest to 30
- 50 delta +/- 8, closest to 50
- Trade Entry
- 5D short put
- 10D short put
- 16D short put
- 30D short put
- 50D short put
- Trade Exit
- 50% max profit or 21 DTE, whichever occurs first
- Hold till expiration
- Max Margin Utilization Target (short option strats only): 100% | 5x leverage
- Max Drawdown Target: 99% | account value shall not go negative
- Margin requirements are always satisfied
- Margin calls never occur
- Margin requirement for short CALL and PUT positions is 20% of notional
- Margin requirement for short STRADDLE and STRANGLE positions is 20% of the larger strike
- Margin requirement for short VERTICAL SPREAD positions is the difference between the strikes
- Early assignment never occurs
- Prices are in USD
- Prices are nominal (not adjusted for inflation)
- Margin collateral is invested in 3mo US treasuries and earns interest daily
- Assignment P/L is calculated by closing the ITM position at 3:46pm ET the day of expiration / position exit
- Commission to open, close early, or expire ITM is 1.00 USD per contract
- Commission to expire worthless is 0.00 USD per contract
- Commission to open or close non-option positions, if applicable, is 0.00 USD
- Slippage is calculated according to the slippage table
- Starting capital for short option backtests is adjusted in $100 increments such that max margin utilization is between 80-100%, closest to 100%, of max margin utilization target
- Starting capital for long option backtests is adjusted in $100 increments such that max drawdown is between 80-100%, closest to 100%, of max drawdown target
- For comprehensive details, visit the methodology page
Early management allows a smaller starting portfolio value since the maxim number of concurrent positions is capped. Less capital is “turned over” faster vs holding till expiration.
Early management yielded a lower average margin utilization vs holding till expiration.
Hindsight bias was used to maximize Reg-T margin utilization for each strategy. This allows a “best case” scenario for the option strategy to outperform the benchmark.
Also displayed is the date in which each strategy experienced maximum margin utilization.
Early management had lower rates of premium capture vs holding till expiration. 5D was an exception.
Premium capture was mixed across delta targets.
Managing trades early underperformed holding till expiration with regard to win rate.
The higher the delta, the lower the win rate.
Max Drawdown Duration
Average Trade Duration
Managing trades at 50% max profit or expiration yielded trade durations around half the duration of hold-till-expiration.
Compound Annual Growth Rate
Profit Spent on Commission
8.61% – the average percent of profits spent on commission across profitable option strategies.
Early management underperformed holding till expiration with regard to total P/L. 5D and 50D were exceptions.
Higher delta strategies yielded greater total P/L than lower delta strategies.
All option strategies were profitable.
A year after the Feb/Mar 2020 bout of volatility, DIA has not only recovered all its losses but reached a new all-time high. Meanwhile, with exception of the 30D hold-till-expiration and both 50D strategies, none of the option portfolios reached their previous high-water mark.
Have your ideas professionally backtested.
- trades ideas remain confidential
- backtest results remain unpublished
- deliverables include:
- a master-results spreadsheet
- raw trade logs and data sources
- most custom research is completed within 5 business days
Contact me for a quote.
Visit the trade log store to download the trade logs associated with this and other published studies.